Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Hw 31: Responding to Riverbend

The group Al-Qaeda was mentioned in Baghdad Burning by Riverbend in the blog post titled "Blog fights". (Riverbend, 44)I have always heard a lot about this group, but I never really knew much information about them. I thought that Al-Qaeda was a bad terrorist group formed by Osama Bin laden, but that is all I know. I wanted to know where they came from, how they developed and what they do. I found a website called FAS Intelligence Resource Program that discussed where, how, when and why Al-Qaeda was formed. The first thing I noticed was that ion the website they spelled Al-Qaeda differently than Riverbend. They spelled it al-Qa'ida. I don't know if it is common that the group has many different spellings, but I thought that was interesting. Al-Qa'ida, which means "the base", is a radical Muslim group that wishes to overtake all Muslim countries that they view as corrupt. This allowing their group to rule all Muslim countries. Al-Qa'ida now remains in small groups across South Asia, Southeast Asia, and the Middle East. In the 1980's, Usama Bin Laden formed the Sunni Islamic group. Al-Qa'ida is an extreme group of Muslims that does not approve of non-Muslims. It was said in 1998 that the duty of all Muslims was to kill United States citizens, whether they be military or civilians. This was an issued statement under “the World Islamic Front for Jihad Against the Jews and Crusaders”. This statement is very shocking to me. I knew that the group did not like America but I did not know they were told that it was their duty to carry out the death of all Americans. This ties into the book Baghdad Burning because Al-Qa'ida is a widely known group in Iraq.

Pike, John. Al-Qa'ida (The Base). 12 Oct. 2005

No comments: